MYP: MIDDLE YEARS PROGRAM
It is a student centered program prepared for students for the age groups of 11-16. It covers years 6,7 and 8 in junior high and years 9. and 10. in high school.
MYP functions as a bridge between PYP and DP. The students transform the skills that they have gained with PYP to a life style through MYP and carry them over to DP.
Within the scope of the program it is aimed that the students get ready for exams within the country and get an education that is equal to their peers abroad.
The program is implemented by our experienced education faculty having participated in IB MYP trainings. All our branch and class teachers participate in integration studies implemented under chairmanship of our MYP coordinator. The education-training steps planned are assessed with weekly meetings; new activity plans are made to eliminate missing points if there are any, they are implemented and exhibited.
Students with MYP gain the following skills;
• Ability to adapt easily to new situations that they face,
• Skill to learn for a life time,
• Ability to fulfill its obligations for groups that they belong to,
• Ability to communicate easily with people
They gain the skill to respect others and discover similarities and differences.
3 CONCEPTS CONSTITUTE THE FUNDAMENTALS OF THE MYP EDUCATION PROGRAM.
Holistic Learning: Students develop an integrated approach to matters, realize the importance of their education even further and comprehend knowledge as a whole in an integrated manner.
Intercultural awareness: It aims to develop the knowledge and skills of students while they learn their culture and different cultures. In addition to these it is beyond doubt that increase of respect, tolerance and empathy are inevitable.
Communication: In MYP, it is paid attention that communication is conducted in minimum two languages. Within the framework of the comprehension of “One Language is One Person” Spanish is also included in the AKA Koleji as a third language.
The students gain the following skills in order to create a more peaceful world;
• Open- minded
• MYP MODEL
A connection is established between eight lesson groups and five interaction areas in MYP. The five interaction areas are diffused into each lesson and special aspects of interaction areas are developed in each course.
THE AREAS OF INTERACTION
These interaction areas constituting the basis of MYP provide the opportunity to relate the information acquired in the class with real life. These are as follows :
• 1. Approaches to learning
2.Community and Service
• 3. Human Ingenuity
• 4. Environments
• 5. Health and social education
MYP LESSON GROUPS
8 basic lesson groups are included in MYP:
1. Language A : Native language; Turkish Language and Literature.
2. Language B : Foreign languages (English, German, Spanish)
3. Humanities : Social Sciences, Geography, History
4. Technology : Computer, Design Technology
5. Mathematics : Mathematics (Algebra, Geometry, Trigonometry, Probability, Statistics )
6. Art : Drawing, Music (Visual Arts and Drama)
7. Sciences : Science, Biology, Chemistry, Physics
8. Physical Education : Physical Education (Health and Hygiene, Team Sports and Individual Sports)
In the personal project, which is the final stage of MYP, students are expected to develop a completely creative thought about any course without any restriction. The project reflects the personal assessment and comprehension of students about “Interaction Areas”.
An advisor is assigned for the students in the personal project and guidance is provided for the student. With the personal project the student displays the skills that he/she has developed in MYP.