Starting from the curriculum year of 2000-2001, Aka Schools, having adopted the principle of inquiring, thinking with alternatives and assessing within the process of self development, started to implement the (IB-PYP) educational system based on inquiring in its kindergarten and primary school.
The program is implemented by our experienced teachers having participated in IB PYP trainings. All our branch and class teachers participate in the integration works between PYP inquiry units and MEB units conducted under the chairmanship of our PYP coordinator. The education-training steps planned are assessed with weekly meetings; new activity plans are made to eliminate missing points if there are any, they are implemented and exhibited.
All activities and shows conducted during the whole curriculum year are taken into consideration when plans are made for the inquiry units.
This program covering the ages of 3-12 originates from an interdisciplinary approach, eliminates education based on memorizing and aims to train an individual who thinks.
The students gain the following skills with PYP;
• They become aware of what happens in their environment, establish links between cultures. They communicate with people from different cultures by knowing that attention should be paid for mutual respect.
• Primarily they assess themselves. Since lifetime learning is aimed in learning a foreign language, requirements of a project based education paying attention to the process rather than the results are fulfilled.
AIMS OF THE PRIMARY YEARS PROGRAM (PYP):
To raise international individuals who are
• Open- minded
Knowledge alone is not enough in this PYP program; development of appropriate concepts, skills and attitudes are also foreseen.
The Primary Years Program (PYP) comprises of 5 basic components.
• 1. Concepts
• 2. Knowledge
• 3. Skills
• 4. Attitudes
• 5. Action
1. CONCEPTS ( What we want our students to understand)
• Who we are
• Where we are in place and time
• How we Express ourselves?
• How the world works
• How we organize ourselves
• Sharing the Planet
Subject Areas :
• Social Studies
• Science and Technology
• Personal, Social and Physical Education
3. SKILLS (what we want students to be able to do? )
• Research Skills
• Social Skills
• Thinking Skills
• Communication Skills
• Self Management Skills
4. ATTITUDES (what we want students to feel, value and demonstrate?)
• Commitment and Appreciation
5. Action (how we want students to act?)
PYP CURRICULUM MODEL:
There are concepts, skills, attitudes and actions that need to be acquired to students in the center of the hexagon of IBO.
Names of lessons “Mathematics”, “Social Studies”, “Language”, “Arts”, “Science and Technology”, “Personal, Social and Physical Education” are included in the second part of the hexagon.
Themes including the inquiry subjects are included in the outer part of the hexagon.